[mythtv-users] PVR-150 Tuner Quality Issues

Wander Winkelhorst w.winkelhorst at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 13:11:04 UTC 2006

> >  Anyways, the picture is looking much better now, and the only remaining
> > problem is of the interference the picture seems to be picking up on some
> > channels. Wander, you suggested grounding my case, whats the best way to go
> > about this to ensure its properly grounded?
>
> Many surge supresors have a proper ground light indicator that can be
> used to see if your outlet is grounded,

Oh yeah, I forgot, US != europe. Over here grounded outlets are
physically different from ungrounded ones, so it is easy to see if it
is or not. No need for a surge protector to tell you.

> then its most likely noise from your computer. It could be your
> powersupply creating the noise, or even a harddrive or fan within your
> case. If you have a good quality powersupply and still get the noise
> consider connecting your harddrives and fans to a seperate
> powersupply.

Computer power supply units come with a filter. This filter dumps the
noise on the ground, which is allso connected to the case itself. This
can cause interference on components like tv cards and can allso sting
a little, if you touch the case. Using a seperate power supply for
fans/HDs probably uses the same ground (because it is in the same
grounded case!) and therefor doesn't work.
The only way to get rid of the noise is to properly ground your case.