[mythtv-users] Dell Flat panel setup

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 17 11:44:45 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 04:55, Pete wrote:
> I'm working on a new FE box to go with a nice Dell 23" flat panel I now
> have (W2306C), but the panel is acting kinda odd. I'm running it with an
> Nvidia 5500 and the picture just isn't right. It looks like it's trying
> to use a different resolution than the panel supports, but the edid info
> is keeping me from doing anything useful. According to Dell, the panel
> is a 1366x768 23" monitor with both VGA and DVI connectors. I can only
> use the VGA, but no matter what I put into xorg.conf, it will always
> pick 1360x768 as the native resolution. Myth looks really flawed with
> the panel doing what it's doing. But I don't know how to fix it. Note
> that TV and DVD's look great, so it's not endemic. Does anyone know what
> I can do here? Thanks in advance.

The answer hinges on a number of factors.

Which version of the nvidia drivers are you using? (The latest drivers change
how some parameters are defined and used, particularly for ignoring EDID
info.)

Do you have a known good modeline to use with your panel? (i.e. from
powerstrip in Windows, or advice from someone who already has it working.)

What type of connection is it? (DVI, VGA, Component etc.)

For example I use a 50" DLP over DVI, with a GeForce 6600GT using driver
version 8756 with a native resolution of 1280x720 at 50 Hz. In the "Device"
section of xorg.conf I have the following options:

Option       "UseEdid" "false"
Option       "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "on"

And in the "Modes section I have:

Modeline      "1280x720 at 50" 76.200 1280 1736 1776 2032 720 725 730 750 +hsync
+vsync

--
Steve Boddy