[mythtv-users] Tuner Card

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 09:05:22 UTC 2006

A small correction.
I said that the Motorola box could display EPG data, therefore somewhere in
the cable stream there should be some EPG data and my hope was that the
digital capture card would be able to fetch it.

Is this EPG data usually encrypted? I am feeding my Mythtv box from the
cable before it gets to the Motorola box. I can currently get non Digital,
 unencrypted channels with my PVR250 card.

On 4/15/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I wonder if any of the other three digital capture
> > boards, Air2PC and I
> > don't remember the name of the other one, could do
> > the trick.
> >
> > You are totally right, I am up a creek without the
> > listing grabber.
> >
> > Javier
> >

> <snip>
>
> It doesn't matter which card you use, they all
> (basically) do the same thing.
>
> If your digital cable signal is unencrypted, then you
> can capture it with a DVB card that works for your
> country (in North America, ATSC cards, in Europe, one
> of the DVB-x cards).  However, if the signal is
> encrypted, you won't get anything usable.
>
> One possibility is that they are putting program guide
> listings in the stream - this is called DVB EIT, and
> it is done in a lot of DVB streams, and ATSC streams
> (though I think it's called PSIP over here).  But,
> because you're gettng the EPG through the Motorola
> box, the EIT data isn't guaranteed to be correct, nor
> is it likely to even be there.
>
> In conclusion - you're probably wasting your time and
> money in buying a digital capture card, unless you're
> going with a non-digital cable source.
>
> -- Joe

/\_/\
|O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com