[mythtv-users] Sports packages supported?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 03:53:41 UTC 2006

--- Jamie M <jjjamiem at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  Just to clarify something:
> I can get these channels directly through a MythTV
> box?  I'm looking to set up a box with a few tuners
> to capture games, not do it through my cable box.
> No other program seems to support this yet, hoping
> MythTV is the answer.
>
> Jamie

No, you'll need to connect your cable box to your
MythTV machine and receive the feed from the cable box
(by S-Video, or coaxial cable, depending on the
connectors your cable box has).

The reasons this isn't currently supported by any
programs are:
1. Your cable provider likely encrypts the signal,
which only your cable box (in theory) can decrypt it,
2. (I don't know if this is the case, but it may be)
The signal is digital in nature, so you'd need a
digital capture card, know what QAM frequency it's on
(assuming it's not satellite), and other information
about the show.

-- Joe