[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 17 03:50:33 UTC 2006

On 04/16/2006 11:43 PM, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I don't see Hauppauge jumping up to release ANY drivers for their
> hardware. They are all about saying "Works in Linux / MythTV", but
> they won't even release register maps for their hardware to
> developers, we've had to reverse engineer. The ivtv driver was written
> by somebody from what I assume was reverse engineering the windows
> driver and reading the specs for the various chips on the card.

In truth, Hauppauge isn't quite as bad as this makes them sound.
They've been /very/ forthcoming with information /they own/ about their
cards.  Unfortunately, they build their cards from components made by
other manufacturers whose NDA's prevent Hauppauge from releasing
information about those components and their internal workings.

Mike