[mythtv-users] audio required for video?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 16 20:11:17 UTC 2006

Does myth need audio to be present in a broadcast in order to display the video?
The local Fox affiliate (KTVU SF Bay Area OTA HD) appears to be having a problem
with its audio right now, and the result is that myth won't display the video.
When I go to live TV on that channel, myth switches to 720p like it's supposed
to (they broadcast in 720p), but after that the screen just stays blank, and it
prints lots of "rebuffering" and "NVP: Prebuffering wait timed out 10 times"
messages. It doesn't appear to respond to pause/play/skip (the OSD doesn't show),
but I can go back to the main menu.
However, if I play the recorded live TV file with VLC, I do get video, but no
audio (though VLC says it does have an audio track).
When I watch the channel using the TV's built-in tuner, I get just the video
also.