[mythtv-users] PVR-150 Tuner Quality Issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 16 04:40:36 UTC 2006

On Apr 15, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Michael Horn wrote:

> Ok, I've finally got my mythtv box set up and running. I'm still in
> the process of tweaking it and my current issue involves the
> picture quality of the tuner in the pvr-150. While the picture is
> certainly watchable, colors are very dull, and the image is very
> grainy. I've played with different capture resolutions, and have
> ruled that out as an issue. My next step was to try out the tuner
> in my good old vcr. I ran the cable line to the vcr, and then
> composite cables to the pvr-150, and got a huge increase in picture
> quality, colors looked better, smoother image etc. Now, I'm hoping
> this is an issue that can be resolved, be it through software
> settings or whatever, as I'd hate to thing the tuner in my cheap
> vcr does such a better job than that in the pvr-150, especially
> after all the reviews ive read of the great picture quality. Any
> suggestions to improve the tuner quality would be greatly
> appreciated, or else it looks like I'll be settin up the ir blaster
> to take advantage of my vcr tuner.

Have you tried adjusting the fine-tuning, or is it possible that you
are using the incorrect frequency table (STD,IRC or HRC) and your
tuner is just barely pulling it in? What you describe could be caused
by being off freq. a bit.

I have also compared the RF-tuned signal to using the baseband inputs
from an external tuner and found them to be virtually identical, and
that's on 4 different PVR-150s.

I do know, however, that HogPaws has used several different tuner
modules, and perhaps some are better than others, but I have two
different modules (my MCE version is different) and they all look the
same.