[mythtv-users] Tuner Card

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 03:22:58 UTC 2006

--- Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if any of the other three digital capture
> boards, Air2PC and I
> don't remember the name of the other one, could do
> the trick.
>
> You are totally right, I am up a creek without the
> listing grabber.
>
> Javier

<snip>

It doesn't matter which card you use, they all
(basically) do the same thing.

If your digital cable signal is unencrypted, then you
can capture it with a DVB card that works for your
country (in North America, ATSC cards, in Europe, one
of the DVB-x cards).  However, if the signal is
encrypted, you won't get anything usable.

One possibility is that they are putting program guide
listings in the stream - this is called DVB EIT, and
it is done in a lot of DVB streams, and ATSC streams
(though I think it's called PSIP over here).  But,
because you're gettng the EPG through the Motorola
box, the EIT data isn't guaranteed to be correct, nor
is it likely to even be there.

In conclusion - you're probably wasting your time and
money in buying a digital capture card, unless you're
going with a non-digital cable source.

-- Joe