[mythtv-users] Thoughts on a Direct DVD Burning Feature

Mike Angstadt daenris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 01:23:55 UTC 2006

> > To answer the question about "how come consumer devices can do it and
> > myth can't", it's because their hardware was designed for that
> > specific purpose. They take video in and convert direct to DVD. I'd
> > like to see what device you were thinking of that does this, actua
>
> I bought a device for $99 that converts VHS tape to DVD in real-time,
> just put in the tape, a blank DVD, push the button and walk away.
> Considering that the unit has a VHS transport and a DVD-burning drive
> in it, I would conclude that DVD-compatible MPEG encoders are
> available very cheap. I'm wondering if there is some way to "jeep"
> this unit to turn it into a capture device (sans tuner obviously).

Well, while it's not $99, I use two devices at work made by Sony that are
both capable of real-time DVD burning.

One is a combo VHS/DVD player/recorder.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=RDRVX515%2fKIT&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=hav_DVD_DVDRecorders

I just put in a VHS tape, press dub, and when the tape is done playing the
disc is done (plus a minute or so to finalize the disc if you're done with
it)

The other is the DVDirect, which if you have the money is probably the best
option for doing a real-time DVD copy of something you're watching.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=VRDVC20&Dept=computers&CategoryName=cpu_Sony_PCAccessories_CD%2fDVDBurn_DVDirect

It's got RCA video/audio-in and records straight to DVD.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but it should  be possible to make Myth do
a realtime recording.

-Mike