[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 15 23:30:01 UTC 2006

--- Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

> Brian Wood writes:
>
> >> The mpeg decoder is just one half of the story.
> The other half is
> >> the TV-Out.  That alone saves you the trouble of
> getting a VGA-to-
> >> composite converter.
> >
> > I haven't been able to purchase a video card
> *without* a TV output (S-
> > Video and composite) lately, even if I wanted to
> for some reason.
> >
> > A 5200-based card can be had for under $50, and
> they all have TV-outs.
>
> I must admit that I haven't really been following
> the video card industry
> lately.
>
> Can someone recommend a video card that:  A)  Has
> TV-Out, and B) has native
> support in x.org, and does not require to use
> proprietary binary drivers for
> basic functionality, and TV-Out.

With the criteria you've given, I don't think that
there are any.  Well, the closest I can think of is
the Matrox G400, which is many years old.  Define
basic functionality.  :)

For modern ATI or nVidia cards to use TV-Out, you'll
need binary drivers.  I think that the R100 and R200
series (ATI) have open source drivers (don't know how
stable they are), and there's been some work done on
the later ones (up to R400 series).

-- Joe