[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 15 22:25:48 UTC 2006

Brian Wood writes:

> On Apr 15, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> The only thing that's happening is that the support for the MPEG
>> decoder is getting dropped.  Which nobody really cares about,
>> because it's always been clunky.  The PVR-350's framebuffer will
>> continue to work, and it's actually the better option of the two.
>
> Nothing wrong with the 350, especially if you are building a small
> machine without on-board graphics or an AGP/PCI-e slot. There is no
> cost advantage if you have a graphics slot, because the extra cost of
> the 350 is about the same, if not more, than an nVidia 5200.
>
> Seems a pitty to buy an mpeg decoder and not use it though, and the
> cost of a 150 plus a MediaMVP is about the same, just thought I'd
> point that out.

The mpeg decoder is just one half of the story.  The other half is the
TV-Out.  That alone saves you the trouble of getting a VGA-to-composite
converter.

If all you want is to watch TV on your VGA monitor, the PVR-350 is a waste
of money.  But, if you want to watched your recorded shows on a big screen
TV, you need TV-out.

There are a small number of new small-sized LCD TVs on the market, which are
also capable of receiving a VGA signal, so you don't need a PVR-350 with
them, either.