[mythtv-users] Current wisdom on PVR-150/250/350/500

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Apr 15 19:51:58 UTC 2006

Scott Karlin writes:

> In this post: <http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-April/132083.html>
> Jeff Simpson states "Don't buy a PVR-350 for any purpose."
> Jeff, if you are reading this, can you elaborate?

That's wrong.  My PVR-350 works splendidly here, with Myth TV 0.19, and I
see no reason why the PVR-350 would stop working in the future, since the
only difference between this model, and the others, is the TV-Out plug.

There's been some misinformation floating around the PVR-350, lately.  There
are two ways of sending the TV-Out signal out of the PVR-350.  One, is using
the native MPEG decoder in the PVR-350, the other is through the PVR-350's
framebuffer.

The only thing that's happening is that the support for the MPEG decoder is
getting dropped.  Which nobody really cares about, because it's always been
clunky.  The PVR-350's framebuffer will continue to work, and it's actually
the better option of the two.

I also like the IR receiver that's bundled with the PVR-350.  It makes
things much, much easier.  Saves you whole bit of trouble trying to hack
together an IR receiver of your own.