[mythtv-users] SVN mythfrontend railing hard drive (memory leak I think, see my syslog)

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 19:17:55 UTC 2006

I tried disabling the EIT on all channels but the problem persists.  I think
it's a problem with the frontend, and not the backend because I can force it
to fail.  If I sit at the main menu and keep attempting an exit but hitting
"no I don't want to exit" to go back to the main menu.  1/3 of the time iIt
freezes before bringing up the menu items, at the grey screen in G.A.N.T.
and rails the HD for a few minutes till the kernel kills it.  Since it was
very easily repeatable, I recompiled myth using --compile-typeÞbug. I
tried running mythfrontend with gdb, these are the results:

$ ./configure --enable-proc-opt --disable-firewire --disable-ivtv
--disable-dbox2 --enable-dvb --dvb-path=/usr/include --enable-xvmc
--enable-opengl-vsync --compile-typeÞbug
# Basic Settings
Compile type     debug
Compiler cache   no
DistCC           no
Install prefix   /usr/local
CPU              x86 (model name        : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+)
Big Endian       no
MMX enabled      yes
Vector Builtins  yes

# Input Support
Joystick menu    yes
lirc support     yes
Video4Linux sup. yes
ivtv support     no
FireWire support no
DVB support      yes [/usr/include]
DBox2 support    no

# Sound Output Support
OSS support      yes
ALSA support     yes
aRts support     yes
JACK support     yes
DTS passthrough  yes

# Video Output Support
x11 support      yes
xrandr support   yes
xv support       yes
XvMC support     yes
XvMC VLD support yes
XvMC pro support no
XvMC libs        -lXvMCW
Mac accel.       no
OpenGL vsync     yes
DirectFB         no

# Misc Features
Frontend         yes
Backend          yes

Creating libs/libmyth/mythconfig.h and libs/libmyth/mythconfig.mak

WARNING: When using --enable-proc-opt you must include the
         output of ./configure along with any bug report.

This is what I got when I tried gdb:

$ gdb mythfrontend -x gdbcommands
GNU gdb 6.4-debian

conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db
library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

[New Thread -1253271840 (LWP 6573)]
Qt: gdb: -nograb added to command-line options.
         Use the -dograb option to enforce grabbing.
[New Thread -1256850512 (LWP 6579)]
[New Thread -1282634832 (LWP 6584)]
[New Thread -1291023440 (LWP 6585)]
[New Thread -1317942352 (LWP 6724)]                    <---- this is where I
was able to cause mythfrontend to freak out
gdbcommands:6: Error in sourced command file:
Couldn't get registers: No such process.
(gdb)

This is what my gdbcommands file looks like:
$ cat gdbcommands
handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint
handle SIG33 nostop noprint
set logging on
set pagination off
set args -l myth.log -v all
run
thread apply all bt full
set logging off

http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Spikey/myth.log

The above link is to my myth.log file (from the frontend with -v all).  As
you can probably tell, I'm not real good at debugging.  Let me know if there
is some other way to troubleshoot this issue.  I haven't figured out a good
way to do it yet.  It looks like gdb can't complete because the kernel kills
mythfrontend from using too much memory.

from syslog, there's a lot more but is' a bunch of swap and pages stuff (I
can post if needed):
Apr 15 12:53:01 mythbox kernel: Out of Memory: Kill process 6572 (gdb) score
77639 and children.
Apr 15 12:53:01 mythbox kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 6573
(mythfrontend).

Thanks,
-Greg