[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Sat Apr 15 01:08:49 UTC 2006

> I agree that the current ring buffer implimentation is very very very poor.
> On average it take 10-15 seconds for video to appear after starting live tv
> and a good 5 seconds for it to change channels. Just for giggles I loaded

 FYI this varies a LOT from user to user.  My LiveTV takes 2 seconds to start,
and channel changes are 1.4 seconds. And yes I timed it. It use to take longer
but after Isaac did his rewrite it. I never really use it, except for short
tests after hardware changes to make sure I haven't messed something up :)

 I don't know what it is that makes it so different from user to user but if
someone ever does track it down it will make a lot of people happy.

 And for the curious this is with PVR 250's, Nforce2 board, xp2500+ and
512Meg of ram. Timing from the remote frontend shows the same startup
time but channel changes are 1.8 seconds