[mythtv-users] Battlestar Galactica 1978 on SciFi

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Apr 15 00:24:35 UTC 2006

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> I -then- used Custom Record in mythfrontend to create this rule:
>
> program.title = "Battlestar Galactica" AND
> program.originalairdate < 20050101
>
> The "Test" button correctly shows that the 6 old episodes airing
> tonight will match, but they don't show up in the schedule recordings
> list, nor are they highlighted as recording in Mythweb's Search page
> (which claims, for any of the ones I click on, that it's a repeat and
> will not be recorded).  And yes, I -did- finish the procedure by
> hitting Record and setting "Record at any time on any channel"
> and then saving the settings.  (And also setting a pre- and post-pad
> of one minute, though I doubt that matters here.)
>
> I suspect that having the two rules (New Episodes Only, -and- the
> Custom Record rule) are not being OR'ed together as I'd expect.

That's an odd assumption. Only one rule can control one showing. If
more than one rule matches the same showing, the more specific record
type wins (Single or Override would beat Channel or All). In this case,
two rule are both presumably All. The tie breaker goes to the older
(lower recordid) rule so that what you've always relied on beats the
mistake you just made. Your old "New episodes only" rule matches all
showings, wins control, and marks the old ones as "r". The new rule
controls none of the showings.

Shortly before 0.19 code was added so that a rule that would mark a
showing as Inactive or Repeat will lose to other rules. Therefore, in
0.19 your new custom rule would have won control of all the repeats
from the old series.

> Presumably the way to fix this is to write a single rule that says
>
> (program.title = "Battlestar Galactica") AND
> ((program.originalairdate < 20050101) OR
>  (program.previouslyshown = 0))

That could work. If you wanted to have different attributes for the
two series (priority, recording profile, recording group, etc.) you
could use two rules.

Old:
program.title = "Battlestar Galactica" AND
program.originalairdate < 20050101

New:
program.title = "Battlestar Galactica" AND
program.previouslyshown = 0

The difference here is that with this rule, the repeats are not
a match for this rule. IOW rather than matching everything then
marking the old ones as "r"epeat, it only matches the new episode
in the first place.

> P.S.  It's really, really irritating that I'm typing on a keyboard yet
> mythfrontend uses cellular-keypad-speak when I type digits, e.g., I

0.19 has a virtual keyboard. You can press Enter for it to popup and
cursor around to use it. However, while the keyboard is displayed,
you can type on the real keyboard including the numbers without the
cell-phone entry hack.

--  bjm