[mythtv-users] Choppy Playback & prebuffering message

Scott Petler scottp at sonic.net
Fri Apr 14 18:53:48 UTC 2006

Nate,

After reading more about your particular machine, I think the issue is
even more likely due to
a pci bus bandwidth issue.  This is because your video card is PCI
rather than AGP.

Having both the backend and frontend on the same machine is using up
your PCI bandwidth.
I would suggest a system with AGP video to keep your playback path off
of the PCI bus.
If you can't do this then given the specs below, you are going to need
to allow the
devices in the video path more time on the bus to burst their data.

It looks like the disk controller here has a latency of 0, I would up
this to at least 32.
I'm not very familiar with the ICH4, assuming it has a latency timer for
burst transfers:
(as root)
# setpci -s 00:1f.1 latency_timer=20

See if  1) it actually changes the value, 2) it makes any difference and
if not (2) then try a higher value (repeat)

Scott