[mythtv-users] MythTV channel buffer

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Apr 14 18:07:52 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 19:36, Felix Rubinstein wrote:
> I don't compain, it's just the first time I encounter a limitation in
> Linux!
Again, are you sure it's a limitation?
There was a big discussion about it and all developers agree that the
ringbuffer is needed to implement stuff like pause, save what you just
watched and so on.
So, if you think that this all can be done without a rungbuffer, try to
convince one of the developpers.

> Once again, I don't want just to watch TV but instead to watch TV under
> MythTV, what if I watch TV and switch my receiver to another channel,
> instead of seeing the new channel right away, I wait for 4 secs new channel
> to appear.
Sorry, that's the way it works.

> People don't you ever thought that it's merely a showstopper? My point was
> that it's the first time I was shamed Windows outperformed Linux and why,
> because no one ever took some time to think about more optimal algorithm.
I never use window so I never used pvr software under windows.  Is there
windows software that works without a ringbuffer and is able to do all the
fancy stuff mythtv can ?

> The most important feature doesn't work correctly, don't you think so,
> don't you use S-Video or don't you switch channels? Or I should waste time
> to correct the code?
>
> MythTV doesn't know the channel was switched, for it it's just a stream of
> bits, all I want is just:
> mplayer /dev/video0
> and that this stream to be buffered for me to go forth and back.
>
> How can I use MythTV if I need to wait 4 secs every time I switch to the
> new channel???
Btw, what version of mythtv are you running?  If you are able, try 0.18 or the
very latest 0.19.

Stef