[mythtv-users] mythtv without mouse input

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Apr 14 13:17:59 UTC 2006

I have a PVR-350 all set up properly, with a framebuffer.  I can run X on
the TV-Out framebuffer, using a completely separate X configuration file
that contains the framebuffer-only configuration.  My /etc/X11/xorg.conf
is untouched, and contains only my default X configuration.  I also have the
PVR-350 IR remote working, and I can control mythtv completely with the
remote.  I don't need mouse or keyboard input, at least for now.

I have the boot-time initialization automated to the point where I have a
script running early in the boot process that searches the PCI bus for the
PVR-350 card, and updates the framebuffer Xorg config file with the
PVR-350's PCI id; ditto with the framebuffer device that ivtv-fb grabs. If I
move the hardware around, things should re-configure themselves
automatically.  So far, so good.

The last thing I want to do is to start a separate instance of Xorg during
boot, on a non-default DISPLAY, that runs off the framebuffer config, which
should not interfere with my default X desktop, running off the default
xorg.conf.

The problem is that the the separate Xorg instance, that runs off the
PVR-350's framebuffer, still wants to grab the mouse input, even if I don't
explicitly set up an InputDevice in the configuration file for it.  Xorg has
a default mouse config setup that it falls back on.  This causes problems
for my default X desktop, because, obviously, it wants the mouse too, but
the separate Xorg instance starts earlier, during boot, and gets it first.

Has anyone done this sort of a setup, for mythtv, before?  Did you manage to
get X to keep its hands off the mouse, if so how?