[mythtv-users] (Non-interlaced) VGA to TV?

Robin Elvin rob at fearsedge.com
Fri Apr 14 08:26:09 UTC 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 17:30, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:35:25AM +0100, Robin Hill wrote:
> > On Wed Apr 12, 2006 at 11:58:42PM +0100, Stephen Williams wrote:
> > > If you're in the UK and want to use DVB-T (like me) then there's no
> > > need to go for a Unichrome based motherboard. Everything you'll be
> > > doing is SD, there's not going to be any HD over DVB-T in the
> > > foreseeable future in the UK. You don't need anything more than very
> > > basic onboard video, i'm using the MX440 built into an nForce2 based
> > > motherboard.
> > >
> > > I'm also using a home wired VGA to SCART converter, once you get it
> > > working the results are as good as you can get without going to DVI or
> > > component, certainly more than good enough for SD content.
> > >
> > I didn't think the nVidia cards had a low enough dotclock to output at
> > TV frequencies?  I'm using an Radeon 9200 to do the same (and have to
> > force the driver to ignore the reported dotclock to get that working)
> > with the open-source ATI drivers - no XvMC yet unfortunately though.  As
> > you say, the results are superb and I even get full res widescreen :)
> >

> Yes, that would work.  The lack of XvMC support was what initially put
> me off the Radeons, but I guess it's just a matter of throwing enough
> CPU at the problem so that it stops being a problem? (and I guess that
> the fact that I'm looking at DVB-T rather than analog helps too).
>
> What kind of CPU should I be looking at if I want to make sure I can
> play something back while I'm also recording on the two DVB-T cards?
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

I have an Athlon XP 1600+, 256Mb RAM, nVidia MX440 and a Nova-T.

Recording takes ~3-10% CPU max so 2 cards recording should be no problem.
Playback is a bit higher as I don't use XvMC and I've turned on some filters
but I wouldn't think it's more than about 30% IIRC.

I haven't used a modeline as I couldn't get it to work. I'm running X in
800x600 and I used the nVidia tools to lessen the interlace flicker and
expand the overscan to fit my Sony widescreen TV. I'm just using the SVideo
out from the card to the SVideo input on the TV (not scart)

I spent quite a while trying all sorts of tweaks but in the end it wasn't
necessary - it just about works "out of the box"

--
Rob