[mythtv-users] Nvidia just released 8756.

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 04:08:44 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 4/13/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

>>> yea, I have a FX5200, could be the new driver...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve
>>>
>> I'm using an FX5200, 8756 drivers with S-Video out and I'm getting
>> color in the OSD.
>>
>> [mythtv at mythtv ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Xvmc
>>          Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
>>
>> mysql> SELECT * FROM  settings WHERE value='UseChromaKeyOSD';
>> +-----------------+------+------------+
>> | value           | data | hostname   |
>> +-----------------+------+------------+
>> | UseChromaKeyOSD | 1    | livingroom |
>> | UseChromaKeyOSD | 1    | mythtv     |
>> +-----------------+------+------------+
>> 2 rows in set (0.01 sec)
>>
>> My hostname is mythtv, but I have a unique identifier on my frontend
>> called livingroom. Wasn't sure which was right, so I added them both.
>
> Brad, I wonder if there are other options that may affect this. Could
> you post your Screen and Device sections? Also, do you have Composite
> and RENDER both on?
Do you mean this?

Option "RenderAccel" "boolean"

    Enable or disable hardware acceleration of the RENDER extension. Default:
    hardware acceleration of the RENDER extension is enabled.

I don't mess with it, so I guess it's on.

------------------------

I don't know anything about the Composite extension. I found it in "Appendix S. The X Composite Extension."
Should I turn this on?

"You can enable the Composite X extension by running 'nvidia-xconfig
--composite'. Composite can be disabled with 'nvidia-xconfig --no-composite'."

See the nvidia-xconfig(1) man page for details

---------------------------------------

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single-head configuration"
    Screen      0  "ScreenLCD" 0 0
    Screen      1  "ScreenTV" RightOf "ScreenLCD"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "MonitorLCD"
    VendorName     "Envision"
    ModelName      "EN-710e"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 70.0
    VertRefresh     60.0 - 110.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "MonitorTV"
    VendorName     "Philips"
    ModelName      "A TV"
    HorizSync      30.0 - 50.0
    VertRefresh    59.9 - 59.9
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidiaLCD"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "BFG"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nvidiaTV"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "BFG"
    BoardName      "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen          1
    Option         "NvAGP" "1"
    Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "ScreenLCD"
    Device         "nvidiaLCD"
    Monitor        "MonitorLCD"
    DefaultDepth    24
#   Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
    SubSection     "Display"
    Viewport   0 0
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
    Viewport   0 0
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "ScreenTV"