[mythtv-users] Remote Record Scheduling ??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Apr 14 02:12:33 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 7:55 PM, Stephen Boddy wrote:

> On Friday 14 April 2006 01:03, Greg Woods wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 17:35 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
>>> Any thoughts on a way to schedule a recording from anywhere on the
>>> net without having to enable full-time access to your system from
>>> the
>>> outside world ?
>>
>> I do it using SSH port forwarding. Something like this:
>>
>> $ ssh -L 80:backend:80 myserver.mydomain
>
> Why use the priviledged port and root account?!?
>
> just make it 8080:backend:80, and have a second url bookmarked for
> when you
> remotely access. (http://localhost:8080/mythweb)

Of course, any browser can do port 8080 (slaps self on forehead).

That would solve part of the problem, since I'm directing port 80
traffic to another machine. I didn't want to use a non-standard port
because the machine at the "library" wouldn't be able to do that,
don't know why I didn't think of port 8080, just stupidity I guess.

Still wouldn't work form a phone though. I'm thinking more and more
of the "send myth an email" approach somehow.