[mythtv-users] It's not the TiVo that she loved...

Ryan Pisani mythtv at frouse3.homelinux.com
Fri Apr 14 01:41:43 UTC 2006

> Actually, unless you're keeping your TiVo for 12.9 years, your Myth
> system was more than your monthly fee for TiVo.
>
> I managed to build my Myth system for $275 ($400, if you count the
> hardware I already owned):
>
> $75 for a Celeron 600 box (back end)
> $100 for improving and expanding my wired network infrastructure
> $100 for a PVR-150
> $129 for an XBox (I already owned this, and built my system around it)
>

>>> hear hear. MythTV only makes sense as a hobby or if you need the
>>> added
>>> functionality/disk space.
>>> Tivo is cheaper (and probably easier to use and possibly more
>>> reliable)
>>> by far. I suspect that might
>>> change as time marches on though.
>>>

>> What! Mythtv has so many other features that make it well worth the
>> higher
>> off the ground cost.
>
> I dunno. My Myth system seems very intimidating to the rest of my
> family. Sometimes I think they would get more use out of a TiVo, or
> the ComCast DVR.

Yeah. I don't have a "family" just my wife. She's pre computer illiterate,
but because it all works with a remote she manages just fine. Oh and the
time stretch feature is a favorite in a house like mine. We work a lot and
record a ton of things with 3 tuners. So compressing time is a must. I
don't think Tivo does that :)

>> The video manager and the ability to play all types
>> of compressed formats on the TV is priceless in my opinion.
>
> Actually, I HATE the video manager. I don't want a video MANAGER. I
> think that XBMC makes a far better multimedia player than what MythTV
> currently has installed. I reboot my XBox for watching non-Myth
> videos all the time. I'd love to see a similar video manager
> implemented into MythTV. Or something like XBMC's web interface.
>
>> Also the
>> ability to export / compress & burn in one unit. All top notch
>> qualities.
>
> Ahh, true. A very nice feature. TiVo can do that too, depending on
> the TiVo unit you buy.
>
> But, don't get me wrong, I love MythTV. I wouldn't have bought a
> TiVo, even if my cable company was offering some kind of special with
> it. So that "well worth the higher off the ground" cost is very
> subjective. For me, $2000 is far too much. For my family, this Myth
> system would be the same. I just feel that this is all subjective,
> and that someone should point that out.

Well. Yeah I guess it depends on what you put in your myth box. I have 2
myth boxes in my house and they both cost me under $500.00, and the tuner
is the most expensive thing in them. But then again, I use analog cards
and don't do HD or anything like that.