[mythtv-users] Remote Record Scheduling ??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 13 23:35:44 UTC 2006

I know that you can schedule a recording through MythWeb, but a lot
of us either do not wish to or can't make MythWeb accessible from the
outside world.

I hate to admit it, but I was playing with a commercial PVR app
(EyeTV) and it has a feature whereby you can access a public web site
and schedule a recording, your home system checks that web site at
intervals and if it finds a request it honors it. I think TiVo has a
similar feature.

I seem to recall seeing something about being able to send an email
to your Myth system requesting a recording, but I can't find it
again. The telnet socket would seem to have some potential in this
matter as well, but I don't know if anyone has done anything with it.

Any thoughts on a way to schedule a recording from anywhere on the
net without having to enable full-time access to your system from the
outside world ?

Thoughts ?

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org