[mythtv-users] Choppy Playback & prebuffering message

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Apr 13 21:54:05 UTC 2006

Nate Crosno wrote:
> Thanks.  Not what I was hoping to hear. Any recommendations on a video
> card model?  Is there one that can get past the Celeron 2Ghz
> limitation I have for HD playback?
Some users have tried using XvMC
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC) on nVidia cards which can
achieve HD playback on lower end systems.  I have an Athlon 2000 with
MX440 card that can do 1080i HD playback but I have to get my other
frontend to work using an MX4000 so you can see it is quite hit or miss.

That being said, I'd recommend a FX5200 AGP.  It is a great price point
and a powerful enough card that supports many of these features.

Good luck with XvMC.  My P4 3.2Ghz processor to upgrade from my 2.2ghz
Celeron arrived in the mail today.  I've given up trying :)

Kevin