[mythtv-users] freeze while seeking

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 13 18:57:08 UTC 2006

Pavol Droba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with mythtv and I wonder if somebody have experienced something similar.
>
> I have VIA EPIA SP13000 system runnig epios (gentoo based distro for via boards)
> with latest updates. This means mythtv 0.19 and openchrome driver (snapshot from 2006-03-06).
>
> Mythtv is configured to use via xvmc. Everything works smoothly, except of one problem.
> Occasionally when seeking the recorded shows with FF or Rewind buttons, graphical system freezes.
>
> Somethimes I'm able to switch to a text console, but it is not always the case. If I remotely
> kill whole X system, it restars ok, but any attempt to play a video using xvmc, gives instantly
> another freeze. This time it just shows a green screen and doesn't allow to switch to text console.
> So I have to reboot the mashine remotely.
>
> I'm not sure if the problem resides in mythtv or in openchrome or somewhere else. So far I have
> encountered it only when using mythtv. I haven't seen anything unusual in logs.

I have the same hardware now running Fedora Core 5 with the openchrome
driver (washington.kelkoo.net/epia/FC5/rpms).

I have experienced this problem as well, but only when rapidly moving
backwards and forwards in a recording. I have not tested it but it seems
that ff and rewind are much more fragile in recordings which have NOT
been commflagged and sometimes they do not work on such files.

Generally ff/rwd even up to 20x works fine, but multiple back and forth
attempts will lock up the frontend. I have heard the backend continuing
to record the scheduled program on a couple of ocassions, and I have
just done nothing until that program ended and the recording was fine.,
but it took a 'big-red-switch' recovery.

I suspect that this is actually an X system error, probably somewhere in
the openchrome driver. Since it only rarely allows any recovery I have
not seen error messages very often but I have seen some 'texture' or
'surface' references in error output.

I will have to set up the laptop to ssh in and see if I can induce some
crashes...

Geoff