[mythtv-users] new htpc setup

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 13 16:01:46 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:39 AM, Dhaval Patel wrote:

> I should clarify the IR questions.
>
> I know that the PVR 350 comes with an IR receiver.
> This is only used to get input from the PVR 350 remote right?

Normally yes, but it can be used to pass any received IR to LIRC.

> This is not the same one that is used to control the Dish receiver
> right?

A "receiver" is not used to control anything external. A "blaster" or
"transmitter" is used for that.

> Does this IR receiver need LIRC or is it taken care of by the 350?

The Hauppauge receiver works with LIRC to pass commands to Myth or to
irxevent and then to Myth (or anything else).

> If I get the MyBlaster, will MythTV pick it up and work?

You will need to install the perl script that is pointed to in the
MyBlaster docs, configure it for your setup (mainly serial port and
Dish receiver address), then specify the script in your capture card
setup in mythtvconfig. It took me ten minutes to set this up, most of
which was trying the various Dish code addresses (it was the 9th one
I tried).

If you don't have a serial port you will need to obtain and install a
USB-to-serial converter.