[mythtv-users] I feel so violated (by Apple)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 13 14:57:46 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Tim wrote:

> i believe it is a licensing issue.  it seems to me that most software
> charges extra for mpeg2 capabilities to cover their licensing fees.
> although, the wallet conscious and wiley community of myth users
> have ways
> around this, i'm sure.

I think that $20 just about covers the license fee, so when you see
DVR players for $29 they really are selling them for $9.

According to VersionTracker VLC has been the most popular Mac
download for more than a year, less so with Windows because they
force you to buy an MPEG license whether you want it or not, sort of
like the "Windows Tax", though that is changing.