[mythtv-users] (Non-interlaced) VGA to TV?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 13 14:49:28 UTC 2006

Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This MythTV thing sure looks like fun - so I've spent the last few days
> So the alternative is to run the signal out an S-Video port and simply
> connect that directly to the other (S-Video) SCART input on my TV.
> Also fine, except that the only Unichrome-based motherboards with
> S-Video output appear to be in Shuttle-style form factors, or laptops.
> I don't think I'm going to be able to stick two DVB-T tuners and a SATA
> drive (or two) into one of those cases, at least not without a serious
> cooling problem.

Why not just buy a motherboard and your own case. The Via motherboards
are available 'bare'. You would need the Via PCI riser card to carry 2
tuner cards, but otherwise you can stuff things in whatever you want.

I'm using a Silverstone LC-11M (which also gets me the VFD and IR
remote) with PVR500 and HD3000 tuners, using a flexible PCI extender and
VIA PCI riser card on an SP13000 with a 120G harddrive. It is quiet and
cool. The trick is in the choice of motherboard.
If I were building a 'big box' backend I would ensure that it used a
Pentium M 700 series chipset (755, 765 etc). Those are not quite as
lowpower as the Via chips but damn near. Somewhere (silentPC? Tom's
Hardware?) I saw a review which showed those chips, with the i945
chipset running at about 24 watts and just under 50 with DVD drive
running!....

Geoff