[mythtv-users] new htpc setup

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 13 14:26:38 UTC 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 6:24 AM, Dhaval Patel wrote:

> I got some help a while ago form people on this list regarding my
> MythTV setup. It took
> a long time but all the parts are in and I have a Debian testing
> system setup to run
> MythTV. The tv tuner card that I decided on is a PVR 350.
>
> My setup:
>
> I have a dish network receiver currently hooked up to my tv via s-
> video. I will take
> this cable and put it into the s-video in on the PVR 350. Then take
> the s-video out from
> the PVR 350 and put it into the tv.
>
> After reading the IR and Dish howtos, I am still confused about the
> best way to approach
> the remote control issue. I will mostly have MythTV record my shows
> for me but I might
> occasionally want to watch live tv.

Can't imagine why :-)

> So please correct me if I am wrong, but MythTV will need to control
> my Dish Network
> receiver and since it does NOT have a serial input, IR is the only
> way to do this. BUT I
> dont know if I should get the MyBlaster or the IRBlaster. What is
> easier to setup from
> your experience?

In my experience the MyBlaster is MUCH easier to set up, but you pay
for the simplicity as it costs about $40 as opposed to $10 for a
receiver that can be used with LIRC.

> Also, will I need to hookup the IR receiver to the PVR-350? I am
> thinking that I might
> need this for the pause and rewind feature. Is this correct?

Since the 350 comes with a receiver that can be connected to the card
and a transmitter to use with it, it would seem to be the easiest and
cheapest way to go.

> If it want to setup both IR receivers, would I need to do anything
> special with LIRC or
> will LIRC only be used for MythTV to control the Dish receiver?

Not sure what you mean by "both" IR receivers, why would you need two
of them and where is the second one coming from ?