[mythtv-users] Use mplayer instead of myth?

Daniel Carter dantheperson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 22:01:47 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Derek Meek <thekazan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel Carter wrote:
>
> >I'm suffering from what seems to be a common problem of stuttering video.
> >
> >I'm using XV out (not XvMC) on a 800Mhz VIA EPIA box.
> >
> >Is it possible to make myth use mplayer instead of it's own stuttering player?

> You realize mythTV grabs, encodes, and then displays a from a ring
> buffer as opposed to mplayer just pushing to screen directly from the
> capture source - mythTV does this so you can get those wonderful
> features that make a PVR a PVR
>
> 800mhz VIA EPIA is a little underpowered I'd think

Oh, i was a bit brief on details sorry. I'm using a DVB card, so there
is no encoding going on.  And im using mplayer to play back the files
myth is or has recorded, so it can pause and rewind just like myth.

It does this with 50% CPU idle, while mythfrontend leaves 0% idle.

800Mhz would be plenty if the backend didn't try stealing 70-100% CPU
half the time (problem with DVB channel guide scanning i reckon, but
I'm yet to test that theory).