[mythtv-users] Are there problems with all VIA motherboards?

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Wed Apr 12 20:48:25 UTC 2006

Dom H wrote:

> Oh I forgot to add, the hard disk will be on an offboard pci SATA
> controller.
>
> Will this negate and chipset issues? Are the issues only with ivtv and
> not dvb?

Actually, it'll make things worse

The problems lie with the PCI bus implementation in the antique
KT133/686B setup, which the board you're looking at uses. More than a
little PCI traffic (such as for a Sound Blaster or DVB card), and it'll
keel over.

And all onboard devices of that age will be provided by helper chips
attached electrically to the PCI bus - so things will be bad to start with

--Jo Shields