[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestions/Sanity Check

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Wed Apr 12 14:39:45 UTC 2006

>    * RAID Adapter.?

I purchased a 3Ware 9500-12 SATA raid card with online capacity
expansion off of ebay for $350.  It gives you hardware RAID 5 support
and has known-working RAID migration (ie, add another drive, make the
RAID array larger, then resize the filesystem).  At some point the linux
software RAID will support OCE, so if you don't think you're going to
need it "soon" it may make sense just to wait.  However, the 3Ware RAID
card allows me to _boot_ off of the RAID array, so I'm not stuck on
trying to figure out how to get GRUB to boot a software RAID 5, or
fooling around and doing software RAID-1 or something similar.

>    * Airstar vs Dvico HD Capture card? (I am leaning Dvico based on
> reviews I have found... but none were myth specific)

I've got an Aver A180 and a Dvico Fusion Lite 5 (no remote).  I think
buy.com sent me the A180 for around $79; Fusion Lite is still at $99.
Both work just fine for capturing QAM256 off Comcast here in Chicago.