[mythtv-users] Sound Card with DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DICE

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 06:32:39 UTC 2006

Bob wrote:
> What is the support status for the ,
> specifically the DDL part?
>
> A lot of people round here like Turtle Beach as their Riviera card is
> well supported and does S/PDIF pass through trivially, I'd like to have
> all my sound outputted through the digital connection to my AV receiver
> and I believe the feature I'm after is called DDL (or DICE). The Turtle
> Beach Montego DDL has this feature but I don't know if it's supported,
> the only post I could find wasn't promising.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/45996#45996
>
> If that card doesn't work does anyone know which one does?
>
> DDL = Dolby Digital Live, the feature formerly known as Dolby
> Interactive Content Encoding (DICE)

Mmm, it seems the Turtle Beach Montego, HiTeC Digital Audio (HDA)
X-Mystique and Diamond Xtreme Sound with DDL all have the same chip-set,
the C-Media CMI8768+, (note the +, that is what signifies the DDL
encoder) the Diamond card is the cheapest, this is probably at the
expense of the analogue circuitry, which, if your using DDL, is irrelevant.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/soundcards/mtgoddl
http://www.hidiaudio.com/products/mystique.html
http://www.diamondmm.com/XS71DDL.php

Unfortunately it appears the DDL feature is *NOT* supported under linux
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/doc/CMI8768+%20Datasheet%20Rev.%201.0.pdf
bottom of page 6 bugger.

In other news HDA now make card that supports not only DDL but DTS
Connect (the DTS equivalent of DDL) that is apparently built around a
custom chip-set, the C-Media CMI8770, so I'll be emailing HDA requesting
information on Linux support for this feature, can I urge others to do
the same and post any useful responses here?

http://www.hidiaudio.com/contact/index.html

Some links.

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=28

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86359