[mythtv-users] Transcode

Andrew lists at heathsworld.com
Wed Apr 12 03:19:24 UTC 2006

> Ok, I remember that one now.  I have that fixed and transcoding works on
> demand, but not in the schedule.  I select a show to record, tell it to
> comm flag AND transcode to low quality.  It will then record the show,
> next flag commercials, but never transcode it, or even queue it up for
> transcoding.  Then if I go into job options and select "Begin
> Transcoding", it will trancode it fine.  What is the trick to making the
> scheduler do the transocde???  Do I have a borked sql DB?
>
> Most shows I want full mpg2 quality, but some things like kids shows I
> want recorded and transcoded to Low Quality without my manual
> intervention on every recording.
>
> -Thanks in advance

I guess this had the whole forum dazzled!  :)  Here is the answer:

The problem is that we have a duplicate transcode enable flag in the settings.  You tell it to enable transcode in the
backend, then tell your scheduled recording to auto-transcode it, yet it does not.  I guess you need to enable the
enabled to make transcode work by again allowing transcode on the MPEG-2 Encoders Profiles.  There is a flag for "Enable
auto-transcode after recording".  I thought I told it to do this when I scheduled it, by selecting "Transcode new
recordings".  Does anyone know why this option is here?  If you schedule it to auto-transcode, I don't think you should
need to check it in the Encoder setup to get the same job done.