[mythtv-users] Can messing with the database cause bad Digital TV reception/playback.

Brett May brett.may at thalesatm.com
Wed Apr 12 00:50:53 UTC 2006

Hi,

My knowledge of DVB and MythTV tells me this is a really dumb question
but I have to ask anyway.

Can messing around with the MythTV sql database cause the recordng and
playback of Live TV to have digital artifacts?

I was almost finished setting up my MythTV box (combined FE/BE on Epia
M10000) when I realized my hostname was wrong.  So instead of following
the instructions on the mythtv website I did the following:

vi /etc/hostname
HOSTNAME='tk421'

reboot.
This meant that all my settings were lost (well not really lost but no
longer on my "new" tk421 frontend).
So I set everything up in mythfrontend again.

Then for some reason I can't remember anymore I decided I didn't want
the old settings still in the database and did:
sql>  update settings set value = 'tk421' where value='localhost';
(can't remember exact name of settings column)

Turned of machine and went to bed (Machine is too noisy to leave on as
the case top is not yet finished)

Two days later I switched on the machine and I am getting alot of
digital artifacts (sp?) on nearly all channels.
I have a crappy Twinhan card which only ever gets 30% signal strength,
but before I did this I had perfect picture.

I am guessing this is a coincidence and something in my area has changed.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Brett