[mythtv-users] How to force a transcode?

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Apr 11 21:25:04 UTC 2006

> yes you can, I know that from that same screen I can move a recording
> into a new or existing recordinggroup, but under setup/playback I can
> only find quality settings for recordingprofiles not recordinggroups :-(

I'm not at my mythfrontend at the moment, but aren't the recording
quality and transcode quality settings different? It makes sense that
only recording groups can have quality settings for the record,
because you can't really re-record at a different size/bitrate just by
moving which group the recording is in.

I think the transcode quality options are by recording profiles, though, IIRC.

You may also want to try out a few and see how much difference there
really is between the different options. I think that
MPEG2->(MPEG4|RTJPEG) is the biggest jump, and telling it what quality
level to transcode at is a much smaller change.