[mythtv-users] Daylight savings time

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Apr 11 20:12:39 UTC 2006

> I've got trouble setting my mythtv box properly up.
> I'm using gentoo with mythtv 0.19 and xmltv-nighly (2 days ago) using
> tv_grab_de_tvtoday/tv_grab_uk_rt
> My localtime is set to Europe/Berlin and my time shows up correct on the
> command line and in mythweb
>
> Howevery, my complete program guide is moved two hours into the future
> thus making recordings impossible.
> I've plyed around with the parameter timeOffset in the mythtv-setup with
> all kinds of options but the result is
> always the same.
>
> Can someone give me a hint what I'm doing wrong ? I had mythtv before on
> a different maschine (same linux and version)
> and as far as I remember everything was ok.
> How is this time offset thing being handled properly and is mythtv/xmltv
> regognising the change from wintertime to summertime
> and back or do I have to do that manually ?

I use gentoo and I've found the best way is to set the system to use
UTC and set the timezone to be your local timezone.

The handbook doesn't mention it, but I believe the file to edit is
/etc/conf.d/clock, and you'll set CLOCK="UTC".

Also, you will need to set the timezone (here's the Gentoo handbook
chapter on timezones):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7

Myth handles a UTC clock pretty well, and having it set for UTC will
prevent the clock from actually having to jump (only how the time is
read out of the clock is changed).

 - Jeff