[mythtv-users] Job priority within Myth's job queue

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 19:51:33 UTC 2006

On 4/11/06, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 02:23:54PM -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > I don't think I would be opposed to a patch giving jobs a priority as long as it also
> > > got rid of the "run commflag before transcoding" option we currently have, but I'd
> > > probably want to discuss this first before someone submitted one.  There may be other
> > > ways to intelligently order the queue.
> >
> > Chris, isn't the "run commflag before transcoding" option per
> > recording? I thought it was there so you could commflag and then
> > transcode the show with commercial removal. If so, I'd say keep the
> > option, but make sure it only acts on shows that are set to
> > automaticaly transcode with commercial removal, and then make sure the
> > help text where the option is reflects this difference.
>
> Yes, the option is per-recording.
> No, the option is not there to allow you to commflag then transcode and remove
> commercials.  Anytime transcoding is automatically scheduled, it will _not_
> remove commercials.  The only time it _will_ remove commercials is if you
> create a cutlist and then manually schedule a transcode job.  For changing
> this option, I was thinking more along the line of allowing the order to be specified
> on each schedule as part of turning jobs on/off for that schedule.
>
> I'm making this up on the fly, haven't thought it all the way through, but
> I was thinking that instead of this:
>
>         * Commercial Flagging
>                 - Do not run
>                 - Run
>         * Transcoding
>                 - Do not run
>                 - Run
>         * User Job #1
>                 - Do not run
>                 - Run
>
> Instead you'd have those same combo boxes, we could have something similar to this:
>
>         * Commercial Flagging
>                 - Do not run
>                 - Run @ priority 1
>                 - Run @ priority 2
>                 - Run @ priority 3
>                 .
>                 .
>                 - Run @ priority 9
>         * Transcoding
>                 - Do not run
>                 - Run @ priority 1
>                 .
>                 .
>                 - Run @ priority 9
>
> This would let the user order jobs the way they wanted for a particular recording
> schedule, but also prioritize all jobs.  Priority 1 jobs would get run first, then
> priority 2, etc..  Within a priority level, jobs would run in order of insertion
> time.
>
> This would also mean that new flagging jobs that were scheduled would get run before
> older transcoding jobs if the flagging jobs were set to 1 and the transcoding jobs
> to > 1.  It would also allow a user to run their own User Job before running
> commercial flagging or transcoding.  This feature has also been requested quite a
> [...]

Or have a new option of sub queues, a CommFlag queue and a Transcode
Queue, then be able to add to the top or bottom of said queue. Where
the CommFlag Queue must be empty for the next job in the Transcode
queue to start.

which would accomplish what I've got in my head as how I'd like things to go...

--
Steve