[mythtv-users] Dish gotchas?

Joe Marcom jmarcom at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 17:57:46 UTC 2006

Michael Tiller wrote:
> I'm seriously considering a move to Dish Network in my attempt to get a
> better picture than I currently get with analog cable.  I thought about
> digital cable but it is really just analog cable for the channels I watch.
>
> Are there any "gotchas" for Dish Network?  Is there a preferred
> receiver?  Obviously, I don't want a DVR unit but are there any
> important differences in terms of channel changing, firewire potential, etc?
>
> The main "downsides" I'm considering at the moment are:
> 1) Need for receiver on every TV
> 2) The fact that I'll still have to capture in analog mode with my
> PVR-150 (firewire?)
> 3) Hassles with getting program guide data?
> 4) Need to deal with IR blaster issues (both for MythTV and my mom's TiVo).
>
> If I'm missing something (vs. analog cable), let me know.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> --
> Mike
I'm still struggling to get a Mythbox running (had a non-compatible
mobo); but I have used Dish for several years.  Whether you get a PVR or
just the old 4000-series, you will have composite, S-video and
fiber-optic sound to choose from. Or you could use coax from the TV-out
on the Dish to the Hauppauge, set to Ch.3.  AFAIK, you must use the Dish
remote to tune.  PVR remotes have both IR and uhf; others are IR-only,
and I don't know whether the IR can be set for a Hauppauge card (or if
you will need to do so.   HTH.