[mythtv-users] Do I need to remove 0.18 before Installing 0.19?

Kevin Bailey ke-tivo at retriever.dyndns.org
Tue Apr 11 17:04:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:44:44PM +0100, RoboJ1M wrote:

>    Hi,
>    I have the 0.18 packages installed for Ubuntu breezy and I'm about to
>    attempt compiling and installing the 0.19 source.
>    Before I do "make install", should I uninstall the binary packages?
>    And if I don't, will it break apt if I try to uninstall them after I
>    have finished installing 0.19?

What I'm doing is leaving 0.18 there (in the crazy hope
that I can go back if I want) and installing 0.19 under
/usr/local where it shouldn't collide with 0.18.

Here's how:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local ...

I understand that they may share directories. Worst is
that they'll share the SQL database. I'm going to look
into replacing all occurences of mythconverg with
mythconverg19. What would be better is if I could
rename the current mythconverg database to something
else. This way, when ubuntu picks up 19, it can
continue using the same database.

If I don't ruin both installs, I'll be fairly amazed. :)