[mythtv-users] My TV doesnt like input from computers

Shanon Mulley shanonmulleyster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:48:54 UTC 2006

I have a bit of a weird problem with my TV. When it takes input from a
computer, the image is never quite right. It seems (for lack of better
words to describe it), that the horizontal stretch is off. That is,
the image pulls away from the sides of the tv (left and right), to
leave a few cm (sometimes more then 5cm) of black space on either
side. This gap isnt consistant either - it varies depending on the
brightness of the image being shown. And if the brightness varies for
the current image (say the top is bright, and the bottom is dark), the
gap at the sides varies to.

This has been the case no matter what computer I hook up to it. I have
outputed from two different windows machines in the past (with
different video cards), via a coax cable (I forget the technical
expression for the cable I used), with a similar effect. My myth
machine is using all new hardware (so thats a third video card). (I
hook my myth machine up with S-Video - but I have also tried the coax
cable thing)

For the past month or so, I have been using a different TV (via
s-video), and it has worked much better. My VCR and DVD player
(stand-alone DVD player - pioneer thing) work fine with my TV - not
the slightest hint of the same problem.

Now, I'm due to start using my TV again soon, and I'd like to know
what I could try to get rid of this problem. A few details:

All video cards I have tried with it have been nvidia. The one in my
myth-machine is a 5200.
The TV is a 68cm CRT Sharp (model SX68LF8), bought in Australia.
The TV it works with is also a CRT - not sure about the specifics, but
it is older then my sharp.

Can anyone offer any clues as to how I can fix this?