[mythtv-users] Nvidia just released 8756.

Darren Black lists.drdaz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:07:49 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:

> Steven Adeff wrote:

> >> If you can live without Bob deint (i.e. you don't mind the deint
> >> artifacts or you run an
> >> interlaced modeline) then it works perfectly for me in SD and HD.
> >>
> >> However, if you enable Bob then all bets are off. I get all kinds of
> >> problems with Bob
> >> enabled.
> >>
> >> I currently run XvMC for SD and HD on a progressive scan LCD TV and I'm
> very
> >> happy with it. I'd prefer to have Bob work correctly, but I can live
> >> with the artifacts
> >> in trade for the reduced CPU utilization. My 2.93ghz Celeron D won't
> >> play back
> >> 1080i without XvMC anyway.
> >>

> > Jesse,
> >  I take it your email refers to using XvMC?
> >

> Yes.
>
> > I seem to need BOB (or some sort of deint) for 1080i output even of
> > 1080i content (possibly because I'm not using OpenGL Vsync?).
>
> Not sure what you mean. I'm running an nvidia 6200 AGP -> DVI-D -> 32"
> LCD TV @ 1360x768.
> So I'm treating my TV as a monitor. I don't "need" Bob. I don't "need"
> any deinterlacing. Some people
> are annoyed by deinterlacing artifacts, but they don't bother me or my
> family much.
>
> Whether or not you're in the category of people who need Bob or not is
> probably up to you.
>

> >  I'll
> > enable both OpenGL Vsync and XvMC in my build and play around with it.
> > I've got Myth setup to run 1080i content at 1080i (which my TV is
> > native at) and 720p at 720p output to my tv.
>
> OK. That's complicated. I just scale everything in software to 1360x768.
> I'm not sure how that
> would effect you.

For the record, I installed 8756 on a totally fresh FC4 install, and Myth
and X would use up 100% of the CPU together over half the time I was
watching LiveTV. This was using bob deinterlacing, with or without xvmc.
I've dropped down to 7676 and no longer see this behaviour.

Somebody else mentioned a crash with the program guide using xvmc and
ChromakeyOSD, but that doesn't seem to be driver related as such. It occurs
with 7676 as well here. It can be reproduced by bringing up the program
guide while the OSD is on (using isthmus). So essentially if you have LiveTV
set to start on the program guide, Myth segfaults.

/drdaz