[mythtv-users] Inexpensive Front-end

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 10 20:15:23 UTC 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 1:14 PM, Niels Dybdahl wrote:

> On 4/10/06, Jordack <jordack at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Inexpensive Front-end
>>
>> So im looking for an inexpensive front-end.  So far
>> the best i can come up with is to purchase a Xbox  is
>> this still the best option? or anyone got another?
>>
>> I was wondering if it be possible to run Linux on a
>> newer slim PS2 since those are cheaper then the xbox.
>> but can't find a good write up on getting it to work.
>>
>> Anyone have any other ideas?  I'm looking for
>> something inexpensive and not to bulky
>
> A Hauppauge MediaMVP can be used.

Agreed, and I use one, but at present they will not do LiveTV (since
0.19). Not that I watch LiveTV much anymore. This will probably be
solved relatively soon.

They can also only play MPEG-2 files, which prevents you transcoding
files to MPEG-4 to save space.

Other than that they are a great $30-$40 solution.