[mythtv-users] Problem scheduling new episodes only

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 10 19:34:34 UTC 2006

On 04/10/2006 02:40 PM, Endaf Jones wrote:
> On 04/10/2006 12:13 AM, Michael Rice wrote:
>
>> On 04/09/2006, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Chris Pinkham committed a change that causes mfdb to finish properly even when errors occur when downloading data ( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/188595#188595 ).
>> I applied this patch and I now have the repeats marked.  Thanks!
>>
> So that's what's been causing my repeats not to be marked!  I've been
> seeing this problem for months and months (I have four or five channel
> lineups with DD).  Sometimes I would have the repeat problem, and
> other days it would be fine.
>
> Hopefully this is not a red herring.

The herring is definitely not red.  ;)  I've had missed recordings,
recordings of programs for which I have no recording rules ("The Tyra
Banks Show"--really I don't have a schedule for it), and repeats that
weren't marked as repeats.  I tracked them all down to various
manifestations of issues caused an incorrect configuration for an
"External" video source (a video source I created with a single channel
for recording from VCR and which shouldn't use a grabber).

In my case, I had gone into mythtv-setup and when I selected the
"External" video source, the setup program changed my grabber from
/bin/true (the right value) to DataDirect (but without
username/password).  This happened because the current mythtv-setup
allows the user to choose a value for grabber, but not to type a value
in (select box, not an editable combobox)--older versions allowed you to
type a value.  There was no selection for "No grabber," so I wrote a
patch (which is in SVN head) to add this option (and properly configure
the video source when it's selected).  The patch probably will not be
applied to 0.19.x because it's a new feature and not a bug fix.

The best fix is to fix your video sources (which can be done using a
MySQL client).  If you're using 0.19.x and don't want to manually edit
the database (or are afraid the problem will resurface next time you go
into mythtv-setup and forget and view the source set to use /bin/true),
the change that was just committed to 0.19-fixes will prevent the
problems that result from the improper configuration, so (once you have
a version of -fixes that includes this change, i.e. post-9665) you could
wait until 0.20 to fix the video source.

Note that I'm not saying this is definitely the problem on your system
(i.e. there may be some pink in the herring ;), but this problem does
have the stated results.  However, there may be other problems that show
similar symptoms, too.

If you want help diagnosing a misconfiguration of your sources, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196486#196486 .

Mike