[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 10 19:01:39 UTC 2006

On 04/10/2006 11:35 AM, Warren wrote:
> The makers of WinDVD have a product called LinDVD.  IAFAIK it is this
> product that Linspire licenses.  It has gone through the testing and
> met with the approval of the DVD and MPEG2 licensing groups (which are
> not the MPAA) and is a totally legal way to play DVDs under Linux.

And you can't buy LinDVD...  Which is the subject of the posts in the
forum that inspired the OP to start this thread...

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/LinDVD.jsp

Can I get a copy of LinDVD?
LinDVD, InterVideo's Linux software DVD player, is currently available
only to manufacturers for evaluation and integration. InterVideo is
engaged with top computer, Internet appliance, and set-top box
manufacturers to provide the highest quality DVD playback for their
devices. InterVideo is committed to providing outstanding multimedia
software solutions for the Linux operating system. We are actively
engaged with the Linux community, Linux platform manufacturers, and DVD
content providers to deliver a robust, high quality DVD software player
solution. We are recruiting talented Linux developers to build
multimedia applications that will make Linux fun and accessible to everyone.

Mike