[mythtv-users] A couple of newbie question, auto commercial removing and Myth Music visualization requiring FFT library

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Mon Apr 10 18:51:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:40:40 -0400
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/10/2006 08:29 AM, Braindead wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:24:58 -0500
> > Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> >> As Chris mentioned, please link to the documentation where you
> >> found this as it is wrong.
> >>
> > http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.14
> >
> > The first paragraph indicates transcoding can be used to remove
> > commercials (now with the responses here, that should be true).  In
> > this particular section it also talks about automatically
> > transcoding recordings.  It seems vaguely worded to my thinking,
> > which is why I posted here.
>
> So, how about changing, "Automatically transcode the file once it has
> completed recording," to "Automatically transcode the file once it
> has completed recording (does not remove commercials)"?

You guys are the pros ;-).

I think it would be very clear if a paragraph were included specifying how exactly you can remove commercials, or perhaps that could be in the FAQ and a link to it in the transcoding section?

How about something like... (not a technical writer!):

Removal of commercials from recorded programs can be accomplished by setting the scheduled recording to automatically flag commercials, and then start playback of the program, enter edit mode ('E'), load the commercial flags into the cutlist ('Z'), exit edit mode and press 'X' to queue up the recording for transcoding.  After the program has finished transcoding the all segments marked for removal in the cutlist will be gone.

Just my thinkin...again, newbie at this so perhaps not up on the proper format/terminology.

--
I own seven-eighths of all the artists in downtown Burbank!