[mythtv-users] Troubles controlling multiple cable boxes

obscure information. obscure411 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:38:48 UTC 2006

> On Apr 10, 2006, at 6:54 AM, obscure information. wrote:
>
> On 4/9/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Doesn't Linux identify serial ports as /dev/stty#? I'd check that out
> > myself, but that's kind of hard with an iBook (no serial ports to
> > test!).
> >
> > Also, can't you try to off-set the problem by using the IR port on
> > your PVR-150? Or did you get one without the IR port?
> >

> Yes, and there are four listed: /dev/stty1-4.  By my understanding from a
> serial port howto I found online, Linux automatically tries to configure the
> first four serial ports, but I could be mistaken.
>
> The issue is that I am unable to locate the base address and IRQ in use
> for the serial ports to properly configure lirc, and using the defaults
> results in an irexec error.
>

> As far as the IR port on the PVR-150, I am already using that for my
> remote control input, so I'm stuck there.
>

> The newer PVR-150s come with an IR receiver and an IR blaster, I think the
> reference above was to using the "blaster" not the receiver. I think they
> added an additional conductor to the mini connector, and I've seen patched
> LIRCs that can use that blaster.
>
> I am also a bit confused as to why you need a separate serial port for
> each STB ? In the case of satellite receivers you can set the receiver to
> use one of several code sets to prevent interference if you have more than
> one receiver, thus you can use a single IR transmitter to control several
> receivers.
>
> Have you checked to see if your cable boxes have this capability? I'd
> think that they would have made some provision for multiple boxes, the cable
> companies certainly wouldn't want to preclude your paying for more than one
> box :-)

I see - I didn't know the newer PVR-150's came with an IR blaster... I don't
think mine has a connector for that.

I'm on an older analog cable system using GI CFT2200 cable boxes.  I'm
fairly certain that they don't have the ability to use differing code sets,
but I haven't been able to confirm or deny this.  That certainly would make
things easier, but I have no idea where to obtain that information.