[mythtv-users] MythTV and Gentoo 2006.0 on Beige G3

Troy Goodson Troy_Goodson at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 10 08:39:10 UTC 2006

I'm starting the journey of installing Gentoo 2006.0 on my stock
Beige G3.  I'm writing my notes at

<http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_Beige_G3_PPC>

I'm not a novice user, but I've never actually installed a linux
distro before.  Nor have I installed MythTV before.

I'm interested in any comments or tips from the list. Also, feel free
to write comments or tips at <http://gentoo-wiki.com/
HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_Beige_G3_PPC>

A few snippets:

I really want a MythTV box, http://www.mythtv.org/, but I want to use
the hardware I have. I have a Rev. 3 Beige G3 with the stock
hardware.  I hope that I'll be able to use a pchdtv card <http://
www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000.html> in it.

  The Plan
    1. read the Gentoo installation instructions for PPC - <http://
www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml>
    2. boot from Gentoo's Minimal Installation CD - I've done this!! :)
    3. read more of the Gentoo installation instructions
    4. refine my plan?
    5. install from Gentoo's Universal Installation CD
    6. install MythTV
    7. does it look like this will work?
    8. start over

  Booting from Gentoo's Minimal Installation CD
... got this to work!

I've made partitions and next time I'm going to "create filesystems"