[mythtv-users] scheduling not using all three tuners?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 10 06:18:35 UTC 2006

>On 04/09/06 23:53, Marco Nelissen wrote:
>
>>But in this case, he has 3 HD tuners. There was no mention of priority, so I assume they have the same priority
>>
>They don't (at least not to Myth).  Myth needs a deterministic approach
>for scheduling, so if all cards are given the same priority, the card
>(technically input) with the lowest cardinputid has highest priority.

That seems rather... simplistic.

>>(I wouldn't be surprised if they're 3 identical cards even). So in
>>that case, shouldn't myth have used all 3 tuners when scheduling,
>>thereby allowing the start and end padding to take place?
>>
>No, because the global pre-/post-roll is not meant for padding shows.

Then maybe it shouldn't use the word "show" in the description of
what the setting does.

>It's meant for starting/stopping capture cards.  Search for "soft
>padding" to read about the issues involved and why it hasn't been
>changed to work like most think it should.

I did search for "soft padding", and it returned only 10 posts
(13 by now ;), only one of which that's not part of this thread
says what you say above (which is no wonder, since it was also
written by you), but doesn't go into details as to why it wasn't
changed.