[mythtv-users] OT: Is playing DVD's on Linux legal in the US yet?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 01:35:59 UTC 2006

> I always look at it this way... Every computer or dvd drive I have
> ever bought comes with some sort of oem windows dvd player software.
> I've paid for the drive, I own a ligit version of a dvd playback
> software (the licence fee is paid), I believe its within my rights to
> play the dvd back in linux using decss if need be.

This was my other question:
If I buy a copy of Cyberlink PowerDVD for windows, am I then licensed
for a single player to play DVD's on my computer; so if it were to
ever come up, I can say 'I've got a legit license to play DVD's on my
computer"?

Thoughts?

And I tend to agree on the point that it probably won't get litigated
again (DeCSS in it's current form, but possibly whatever Linux comes
up with for HD-DVD/Blue-Ray might) but am curious and trying to overly
cautious for people I'm planning on building computers for (I don't
want to get sued, and even more importantly, I don't want them to get
sued).

Chad